Visual field testing or Automated Perimetry is a test designed to check your central and peripheral vision. There are many reasons why your optometrist will perform this test:
- Detecting damage to the optic nerve from diseases like glaucoma
- Monitoring glaucoma treatment
- Detecting problems with the visual pathway leading to the brain
- To obtain a baseline for future comparison
- Assessing fitness to drive
This assessment may be performed if you have a family history of glaucoma, or show any signs of neurological disorders.